Tuesday, October 22, 2013

"Experience is wasted because we don't record it"

A month or so into my AmeriCorps Project CHANGE experience, I have decided that I must record my experience. So here I am blogging, but I have no idea what I am doing.

Two weeks ago a man named Paul Costello came to our AmeriCorps group meeting to talk to us about the importance of storytelling. He helped us start telling our stories. So I have decided that blogging and sharing my story would help me, "shape the story that is shaping me."

I also have a terrible memory so writing this all down will help me remember all that I've been through during this experience.

He had us first think about our names... That was boring for me because I don't think much of my first name. I like my last name and my middle name was given to me by my birth mother, but that's a whole different story.

So back to this whole AmeriCorps business. He asked, "Why are you here?" Hmmmm "Why am I here?" that's a brilliant question. I wish I had an equally interesting answer. Answering "why" is always hard for me. Sometimes I feel like I just do things without thinking of "why." Is it because after I graduated from college I did not know what to do? I want to help people? He told us to think of one moment that brought me here to this project. The internet is technically what brought me here, but that's a boring story of me sitting on the couch with my laptop frantically searching for the next step of my life.  So I just came up with a story of volunteering before and how it made me want to help people, but that's not really an answer. And I don't think the "why" is very important to me right now because I'm here and I'm doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment